It is fairly common to see school-aged kids wearing braces. But did you know that more than a million adults wear braces, and the trend only continues to grow every day? Whether you are uncomfortable with your smile or have trouble with oral hygiene because of the placement of your teeth, adult braces can have several benefits.
Our orthodontist in Morrisville, NC, and their team specialize in adult braces that offer comprehensive and accurate results over a period of time.
How can adults benefit from orthodontic braces?
Malaligned teeth look unsightly, which can lower your self-esteem and lead to a lack of confidence. In addition to poor aesthetics, improperly aligned teeth can also negatively impact your masticatory functions and speech.
Orthodontic braces help correct these flaws by straightening your teeth. Straight teeth offer multiple health and dental benefits, including:
- Reduces your risk of dental decay
- Decreased prevalence of gum disease
- Minimizes your risk of dental trauma and injuries
- Teeth alignment to create an aesthetic smile
- Correct the presence of any relapse through orthodontic retainers
- Improves your brushing and flossing ability, especially for crowded teeth
- Reduces excessive wearing down of teeth due to bruxism (grinding or clenching)
- Improves dental alignment
- Jaw surgeries can correct congenital discrepancies in the upper and lower jaw
How do adult braces work?
Braces work slowly by moving the teeth into the desired alignment. Proper alignment not only improves aesthetics and gum health but also creates a better environment for the teeth.
Braces apply gentle and desired pressure on your teeth that guide them into a better formation. The process is completed over a certain period of time so that the teeth can move gradually and adjust themselves. If done too quickly, it could cause teeth loosening and put them at an increased risk.
What are the types of orthodontic braces? Why are Invisalign clear aligners popular?
With the advancing technology in dentistry, there is a wide range of braces available for adults. These include:
- Metal braces
- Ceramic braces
- Invisalign aligners
- Lingual braces
Invisalign aligners are popular among adults due to the following benefits:
- These aligners are much less visible than metal braces
- They can be physically removed from your mouth when required
- Since they are easily removable, you can brush and floss your teeth conveniently
- Minimal irritation to the surrounding structures like gums and cheeks
- There is no need for any diet restriction
The popularity of braces among adults is gaining momentum and shows no signs of slowing down. Technology offers a variety of braces according to your personal preference and strategies for completing the treatment quickly and effectively.